Recipe by Mom2Rose
Found this recipe through a Food Network newsletter I receive. Looks incredible and I can't wait to try it!
Top Review by behindblueyes2
I was looking for a recipe with homemade icing or frosting, and was so excited at how tangy and delicious it turned out! The cupcake itself was of course great and the strawberry made it just moist enough to make it the perfect cupcake. Thanks for the recipe! =D
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 6 large ripe strawberries, hulled
- green sugar candy sprinkles
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Line the muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until light and foamy, about 2 minutes.
- While beating, gradually pour in the butter and then the vanilla.
- While mixing slowly, add half the dry ingredients, then add all the milk, and follow with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Take care not to over mix the batter. Divide the batter evenly in the prepared tin.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes on a rack in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove.
- Cool on the rack completely.
- For icing: Mix the confectioners' sugar and lime zest in a medium bowl.
- Add the lime juice and mix with an electric mixer to make a firm but pourable icing. (If needed, add up to 1 teaspoon more juice, but take care if the icing is too loose it doesn't set properly.)
- Add food color to make a pale pastel green icing.
- To assemble: Remove cupcake from its liner.
- Cut and remove a strawberry (coned) shaped portion of cupcake from the top of each cupcake, leaving about 1/2 to 1-inch of cake in the bottom.
- Stuff each cake with a strawberry and cover with a little bit of cake.
- Spoon and spread icing over the top of the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with green sanding sugar.
- Top with small mint leaves or candied leaves.