Recipe by qotw13
I couldn't sleep tonight, so I decided to get up and do a little experimenting in the kitchen. I've been wanting to make muffins, and have yogurt that needs used before it expires, so this is what I came up with. I used frozen strawberries that I partially thawed before chopping. I also didn't measure them, but just used up what I had left in the freezer, and guessed at it being about a cup. The first pan just came out of the oven, and they smell (and taste!) delicious, but when I took a bit of one, I found that the insides were slightly gooey, especially around the pieces of strawberry. I'm thinking they will be better once they've sat overnight, but if anyone makes these and has any ideas on how to remedy this, please let me know. I have a feeling that they may also benefit from an added tablespoon of butter, and more lemon flavor. It's a work in progress, what can I say? ;)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 8 ounces strawberry yogurt
- 1 cup strawberry, finely chopped (plus any accumulated juices)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*. Prepare muffin tin(s) by greasing or using paper liners.
- Mix oats and yogurt, and set aside (this will soften the oats).
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar.
- In another bowl, slightly beat the egg, and mix in the honey, applesauce, lemon juice, and extracts. When combined, add in the yogurt/oat mixture.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring just until moistened.
- Gently fold in strawberries.
- Fill muffin cups with batter. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes before removing to wire rack to completely cool.