Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
These refreshing cupcakes are a hit whenever I make them. Kids and adults alike love them.
Make and share this Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 295.73 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 118.29 ml plain yogurt
- 9.85 ml lemon zest
- 44.37 ml lemon juice
- 2.46 ml lemon extract
- 56.69 g fresh strawberries
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 170.09 g butter, room temp
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, and egg until smooth. Add yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, and lemon extract. Beat until smooth. Add flour and mix just until smooth.
- Scoop batter into paper liners. Bake 22-25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack before frosting.
- For frosting:.
- Wash and hull strawberries. Puree in food processor and set aside.
- Add sugar and egg whites into bowl of mixer. Fit over pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly, keeping mixture over heat, until it feels hot to the touch, about 3 minutes.
- Remove bowl from heat. Using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer, beat meringue on medium speed until cool, about 5 minutes.
- Switch to paddle attachment and add butter, one tablespoon at a time, beating until smooth. Once all the butter is in, beat on medium-high until very smooth and thick, 6-10 minutes. If the buttercream curdles or separates, keep beating and it will come together again.
- Gradually beat in lemon juice, then the vanilla. You should have a shiny, smooth, velvety white buttercream. For lemon buttercream, stop at this point. For strawberry-lemon buttercream, add the strawberry puree.
These are delicious! So flavorful and so moist! Thank you so much for sharing! Made a few alterations - added a couple tablespoons of minced strawberry to the batter and omitted the lemon extract (as I didn't have any - I didn't miss it, the lemon taste was still very present because I added a little extra zest). I also used Greek yogurt (vanilla instead of plain because the store didn't have a suitable plain yogurt) - this might have made it so the batter was denser and didn't rise as much, but it still added a lot of moistness. My fiance said these are the best cupcakes he's ever had!
I loved this recipe! I actually made it into a 8inch cake for someone's birthday and people loved it!! It is delicious, moist, and not too sweet! I did not use the lemon zest as I do not have it, but as in a previous comment, I also noticed it was not needed. Also, it did not rise as much, but it still worked out perfectly for my cake!
These cupcakes are absolutely delicious. Make a double batch - they go fast.