These refreshing cupcakes are a hit whenever I make them. Kids and adults alike love them.
Make and share this Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 ounces fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 6 ounces butter, room temp
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, and egg until smooth. Add yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, and lemon extract. Beat until smooth. Add flour and mix just until smooth.
- Scoop batter into paper liners. Bake 22-25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack before frosting.
- For frosting:.
- Wash and hull strawberries. Puree in food processor and set aside.
- Add sugar and egg whites into bowl of mixer. Fit over pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly, keeping mixture over heat, until it feels hot to the touch, about 3 minutes.
- Remove bowl from heat. Using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer, beat meringue on medium speed until cool, about 5 minutes.
- Switch to paddle attachment and add butter, one tablespoon at a time, beating until smooth. Once all the butter is in, beat on medium-high until very smooth and thick, 6-10 minutes. If the buttercream curdles or separates, keep beating and it will come together again.
- Gradually beat in lemon juice, then the vanilla. You should have a shiny, smooth, velvety white buttercream. For lemon buttercream, stop at this point. For strawberry-lemon buttercream, add the strawberry puree.