These bars are a twist on the classic lemon bar by adding fresh strawberry puree. I love nothing more in the summer than a glass of fresh squeezed strawberry lemonade - except maybe these bars. Thank you Pinterest for pointing me to this reciep from the kandktestkitchen.com blog!
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 -3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup fresh strawberries, pureed (about 3/4 c whole)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lighly great a 9x13 in pan.
- Crust: Cream together sugar and butter, then gradually beat in flour and salt until crumbly.
- Pour into prepared pan and press into an even layer. Bake for 17 minutes until edges are set.
- Filing: Combine lemon juice, lemon zest, strawberry puree, sugar, and eggs and beat until smooth. Add in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pour filling over hot crust. Return to the oven and bake for 23-26 minutes until the filling is set. A light brownish colored crust may form on top of the filling.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cool completely before slicing.
- Cut with a damp knife for clean slices.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Lovely bar recipe. I would like to offer up, that it took 3 lemons to end up with 1 cup of juice and about 1 cup of whole berries to yield the half cup of puree. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag game. :)
I'm partial to any type of citrus bar, and I love berries so these were pretty much guaranteed to be a hit for me. These are pretty tart, so these would definitely appeal to people who aren't into super-sweet lemon bars. My batch didn't come out so cute because I pressed the crust into the pan too firmly -- I had to chisel the crust out of the pan, but that was my own fault (I always over-press pressed crusts). I was a little nervous about how thin the filling was before baking, but it firmed up just fine in the end. I was short on time to get them cool enough to slice, so I popped them in the freezer for about 45 minutes while I got ready for work. Very nice, thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2012
OMG!!! These bars just sceam out SPRING and the taste is to die for. A combo of tart and not to sweet that both DH and I loved. I did make some changes, added lemon zest to the crust when mixing and use rasberries that I had frozen from the garden last year. What a taste delight and looked so pretty too - what more could you ask for! Made for Spring PAC 2012