Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
These bars are a twist on the classic lemon bar by adding fresh strawberry puree. I love nothing more in the summer than a glass of fresh squeezed strawberry lemonade - except maybe these bars. Thank you Pinterest for pointing me to this reciep from the kandktestkitchen.com blog!
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 -3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup fresh strawberries, pureed (about 3/4 c whole)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lighly great a 9x13 in pan.
- Crust: Cream together sugar and butter, then gradually beat in flour and salt until crumbly.
- Pour into prepared pan and press into an even layer. Bake for 17 minutes until edges are set.
- Filing: Combine lemon juice, lemon zest, strawberry puree, sugar, and eggs and beat until smooth. Add in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pour filling over hot crust. Return to the oven and bake for 23-26 minutes until the filling is set. A light brownish colored crust may form on top of the filling.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cool completely before slicing.
- Cut with a damp knife for clean slices.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Lovely bar recipe. I would like to offer up, that it took 3 lemons to end up with 1 cup of juice and about 1 cup of whole berries to yield the half cup of puree. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag game. :)
Great recipe, but next time i make these i will tweak rje recipe some. The bottom crust was amazing, best recipe ive made. As for yhe filling, I would suggest not adding the zest, it seemed unnecessary and didn't mix well. You would end up picking the zest out of your mouth. It needs a little more than half a cup of pureed strawberries, as you could barely taste them. One of my taste testers said 'it taste like watered down lemon bars'
I'm partial to any type of citrus bar, and I love berries so these were pretty much guaranteed to be a hit for me. These are pretty tart, so these would definitely appeal to people who aren't into super-sweet lemon bars. My batch didn't come out so cute because I pressed the crust into the pan too firmly -- I had to chisel the crust out of the pan, but that was my own fault (I always over-press pressed crusts). I was a little nervous about how thin the filling was before baking, but it firmed up just fine in the end. I was short on time to get them cool enough to slice, so I popped them in the freezer for about 45 minutes while I got ready for work. Very nice, thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2012