Prep 12 hrs
Cook 14 mins
Delicious lemon pie with a surprise! From Celebrate magazine.
- 1 (14 1/8 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 0.5 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup halved strawberry
- 6 large eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons lemon zest, divided
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 tbsp.confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie crusts. and stack one on top of the other. Roll together into a 14" circle. Press crusts into a 9" deep-dish pie plate, crimping edges if desired. Line crust with parchment paper, and fill with pie weights. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove parchment and pie weights, and bake 2 minutes more. Let cool.
- Prepare strawberry gelatin according to package directions. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Line bottom of crust with strawberries, cut sides down. Pour gelatin mixture over strawberries. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- In the top of a double boiler, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and next 3 ingredients. Place over simmering water, and cook, whisking constantly, for 10 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 160 degress.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon zest, and gelatin. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Spread lemon curd evenly over gelatin. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or until set.
- In a large bowl, beat cream with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form; add confectioners' sugar and lemon zest, beating until combined. Spread over lemon curd. Garnish with strawberries and lemon slices, if desired.