Prep 35 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I was thumbing through a Good Housekeeping Magazine (while I was waiting in a Dr's office) and I saw this delicious looking desert! Decided to post it for safe-keeping. An extra hour-and-a-half is needed to cool the meringues. Perfect for Passover! Am going to prepare these during a Passover luncheon that we are going to have. Haven't thought out the menu as yet but will post as soon as I make up my mind.
- 3 large lemons
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or 6 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 pint strawberry, each hulled and cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon strawberry preserves
- mint leaf (to garnish)
- PREPARE LEMON-CURD:.
- From lemons, grate 1 tablespoon peel and squeeze 1/2 cup juice.
- In 2-quart saucepan, with wire whisk, mix cornstarch, lemon peel, and lemon juice until smooth.
- Add butter and 3/4 cup sugar; heat to boiling over medium heat.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- In small bowl, beat egg yolks slightly.
- Into yolks, beat small amount of hot lemon mixture; pour egg mixture back into lemon mixture in saucepan, beating rapidly to prevent lumping.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick, about 5 minutes.
- Pour lemon curd into medium bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours or until well chilled. (Lemon curd can be refrigerated up to 3 days.).
- PREPARE MERINGUE NESTS:.
- Preheat oven to 225ºF.
- Line large cookie sheet with foil or cooking parchment. (I have found that using parchment paper is better).
- In small bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Sprinkle in 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition until sugar dissolves and whites stand in stiff, glossy peaks.
- Spoon meringue into 6 mounds on cookie sheet.
- With back of spoon, form a well in center of each mound to create a nest.
- Bake nests 2 1/2 hours.
- Turn off oven and let nests remain in oven 1 hour to dry out.
- Cool nests on cookie sheet on wire rack.
- If not using right away, store in airtight containers.
- Just before serving, in small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy or whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold whipped cream into lemon curd.
- In medium bowl, toss strawberries with preserves.
- Spoon lemon-curd mixture into meringue nests.
- Top with strawberry mixture.
- Garnish with mint.