Recipe by PaulaG
My dearest friend, Carol, was the inspiration behind this recipe. There was a recipe published in this month's issue of Light & Tasty. It gave me some ideas and this bread was the end result. It is perfect as the base for fresh strawberry shortcake. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by MarthaStewartWanabe
This is a delicious sweet bread recipe with nice lemon flavor and aroma. The only trouble I had was the strawberries all shifted to the bottom of the loaf, which left the bottom somewhat soggy. Even so, it was still a yummy treat. We served it as dessert at our backyard Memorial Day picnic with fresh strawberry sauce and a dollop of whipped cream. Thank you for a lovely recipe! (Made and reviewed for NZ/AUS Recipe Swap #28, May'09)
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 (6 ounce) carton sugar-free lemon yogurt, sweetened with Splenda
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoon lemons, rind of, grated
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup strawberry, chopped very coarse
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a non-stick loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, Splenda, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In separate bowl, whisk the egg, egg whites, yogurt, oil, milk and lemon peel.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix until moistened.
- Fold in chopped strawberries.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted off center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.