1/1 Photo of Strawberry Lemon Custard Shortcake
I just had to buy the June issue of Canadian Living so I could make the cover recipe! I made some changes to the biscuit portion - you could substitute with sponge or angel food cake, if you prefer. Standing time has not been included.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1BISCUITS: Sift dry ingredients together; mix in zest.
- 2Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3Make a well in the center & pour the milk in; mix the flour into this until it forms a ball - when the mixture comes away from the sides of the bowl without sticking, its ready; if necessary, add a little more flour.
- 4Turn out onto a floured surface & gently knead 5 or 6 times - no more or it will become tough.
- 5Roll out about 1/2" thick, cut with a cookie cutter or floured glass & place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 6Brush with lemon juice, sprinkle with coarse sugar & bake in preheated 450F oven for 8 to 12 minutes or until light golden colour on top.
- 7CUSTARD: Whisk yolks, sugar, corn starch, zest & 1/4 cup of the milk in a bowl; set aside.
- 8In a heavy saucepan, heat the remaining milk over medium heat just until bubbles form around the edge; gradually, whisk into the yolk mixture.
- 9Return to the pan & cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- 10Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl; stir in lemon juice.
- 11Place plastic wrap directly on surface & refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- 12BERRIES: Toss berries, sugar & brandy (if using) in a large bowl; let stand for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- 13ASSEMBLY: Slice cooled biscuits in half horizontally & place bottom half on serving dishes.
- 14Spoon some strawberries onto each biscuit & top with custard; place biscuit tops on top of custard.
- 15Spoon more strawberries onto each biscuit top followed by whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Lemon Custard Shortcake
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 558.7
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 183.6 mg
- Sodium 410.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 32.0 g
- Protein 10.8 g