- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled,cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons chilled whipping cream (or more)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 quarts fresh strawberries, stem end of each cut flat
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- For curd; Whisk eggs, sugar and lemon juice in heavy small saucepan to blend.
- Add butter and lemon peel.
- Stir over medium heat until curd thickens to pudding consistency, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Press plactic wrap onto surface of curd and chill at least 2 hours.
- For crust; Combine flour, sugar and salt in processor; blend 5 seconds.
- Add butter; using on/off turn, blend until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 2 TBS cream and egg yolk.
- Blend until moist clumps form, adding more cream by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- GAther dough into ball; flatten into a disk.
- Wrap and chill 1 hour.
- (Curd and dough can be made 2 days ahead, keep chilled) Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 13 inch round.
- Transfer dough to 9 inch diameter tart pan with removable bottom.
- Trim overhang to 1/2 inch.
- Fold overhang in and press firmly, dorming double thick sides.
- Pierce crust all over with fork; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Bake crust until golden, pressing with back of fork if crust bubbles, about 20 minutes.
- Cool crust completely on rack.
- Spread curd in crust.
- Stand berries in curd.
- Strain jam into saucepan; warm briefly to thin.
- Brush jam over berries.
- Chill tart until glaze sets, at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- Release tart from pan and serve.