Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
From the 2008 Gourmet magazine with tons of strawberry recipes. This is super simple to make with only two ingredients and a great way to use strawberries in the summer months. It takes a little longer with the stove time but the effort is worth it and easy to make while multi-tasking! I've also had good results mixing blackberries and raspberries instead of strawberries.
- Purée strawberries with sugar in a blender until smooth, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large heavy saucepan.
- Bring purée to a boil, then simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally (more frequently toward end), until thick enough to mound slightly and reduced to 1 to 11/4 cups, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200°F with rack in middle. Line a large baking sheet with nonstick liner.
- Pour hot purée onto liner and spread thinly (as evenly as possible) into a 15- by 10-inch rectangle using spatula. Dry purée in oven until it feels drier (it shouldn't stick to your fingers) but is still slightly tacky, 2 to 3 hours.
- Cool on liner on a rack until completely dry, at least 3 hours and up to 24.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper over leather, then peel leather off liner and roll up in parchment.
My kids love fruit snacks so I thought this would be a great recipe to make for them! It does take abit of work but the end result is pretty good! My kids said it could have had a stronger strawberry taste. I will make this again! Thanks for posting!! Made for PAC fall 08'