Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I played around with different fruits and additions in smoothies last summer, and this was probably my favorite one. Because of the oats and almonds, I typically have this as a meal in itself, maybe with just a piece of toast or something. Another variation I liked was using half a peach instead of the kiwi. I've used several different flavors of yogurt, but usually stick to vanilla, raspberry, or strawberry. I am going to try adding things like wheat germ or flax this summer when I start making smoothies again....
- 2 ounces lemonade (or other juice...water could even be used if needed. This is just for extra liquid.)
- 4 ounces non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 kiwi fruit
- 6 -8 strawberries, washed (depending on size)
- 1⁄8 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄8 cup almonds
- ice cube, as needed
- Peel and cut kiwi into several large chunks. Core and quarter strawberries.
- Add all ingredients except ice to a blender, in the order listed. (Keeping the liquid at the bottom helps the blender run more smoothly.).
- Add ice cubes as needed, continuing to blend until desired consistency.
- Note: using frozen strawberries can nearly or completely eliminate the need for ice cubes.
Very nice tasting smoothie! I did use frozen strawberries & some homemade lemonade for this, & have used rolled oats in smoothies before, but the almonds were a nice addition! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's Pick-A-Chef]