Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I love coming up with new ways to eat my oatmeal in the mornings, and this is one that I've tried multiple times now. My roommate thinks it's weird to put kiwi in oatmeal, but then again, she thinks most of the things I eat are weird ;) This is kinda reminiscent of summer though :) I like to cut up the fruit at night, so I don't have to mess with it in the morning, since I like to hit the snooze button as many times as I possibly can before getting up...
- 1⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh strawberries, cut into small pieces (about 4-6 berries, depending on size)
- 12 whole almonds
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Put oats and water in good-sized microwave-safe bowl (big enough that the oatmeal won't overflow as it boils), and microwave on medium power (50%) for 3 1/2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with almonds. Don't worry about stirring them in, as they will get moved around as the oatmeal continues to cook. Microwave on medium power 1 1/2 minutes.
- Gently stir in desired amount of pre-cut fruit. I like a lot of fruit in my oatmeal, so I used about half of it. Microwave on medium for another 30 seconds.
- Stir and allow to cool; then eat up! The leftover fruit can just be eaten plain. This gives you about 2 servings of fruit (I think).
- The fruit adds enough sweetness for me, but you could probably drizzle this with a bit of honey for some added sweetness.
This was nice for something different, I never would have thought of adding kiwi to porridge. Topped with vanilla yoghurt, this may for a lovely filling brekky!
Since you indicated you like lots of fruit, but then used only half of what you prepared (& since I like LOTS OF FRUIT, too), I made a double batch of oats & used all the fruit! Interesting & unusual combo, & VERY TASTY! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's Pick-A-Chef]