Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
An easy and delicious recipe. Usually made with azuki beans and kanten (agar agar) sticks. Yokan is usually included in menus during Christmas and New Years Celebrations in Hawaii by those of Japanese descent. This recipe is much easier than melting the kanten sticks with water and sugar and making your own Koshian (red bean paste). Itadaki masu! (Cooking time is refigeration time to set)
- 3 (3 ounce) boxes strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 3 cups hot water
- 3 (1/4 ounce) envelopes gelatin powder (Knox)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 (16 ounce) can red bean paste (Koshian)
- Soften gelatin in cold water.
- Dissolve Jello in hot water, then add softened gelatin and mix well.
- Add Kosian and blend well.
- Pour into greased 8 x 8 inch pan.
- Refrigerate until set about 4 hours.
- Cut into blocks or rectangles and serve.