Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
For best results, work quickly before the shortening has a chance to warm up and bake the scones immediately to achieve maximum height. For richer scones, use 35% whipping cream and for lighter scones, switch to 10% cream.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all- vegetable shortening, cold
- 1 cup table cream (15% or 18%)
- 1⁄3 cup strawberry jam
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium-sized bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add cream all at once,stirring with a fork to create a soft dough.
- With floured hands, press dough into a ball and on lightly floured surface, knead gently about 3 times.
- Pat dough into 3/4" thick round and cut with floured 2" cookie cutter. Gather up scraps and repeat with remaining dough.
- Transfer rounds to prepared baking sheet.
- Place jam in pastry bag fitted with plain tip or large heavy-duty freezer bag with hole cut in one corner. Using the tip of a knife, poke hole in the side of each scone. Pipe jam into each hole, ensuring that jam is placed in the middle of each scone.
- Brush top of each scone lightly with beaten egg.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on racks.