Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Use fresh picked strawberries. Chop the berries, then lightly mash them in small batches. Do not thoroughly mash or puree the berries, just crush enough to release the juice.
- 4 cups hulled crushed ripe strawberries (about 2 quarts whole berries)
- 2 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
- 7 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unsalted butter (this is correct)
- 1 (3 ounce) envelope liquid pectin
Directions See How It's Made
- In an 8-quart pot, combine the berries, lemon juice, and sugar; cover and let stand for 2 hours.
- Remove cover; place pot over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, heat the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Stir in the butter; increase heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the liquid pectin; return mixture to a full boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat; skim off any foam.
- To prevent the jam from separating in the jars, let jam cool 5 minutes before filling the jars.
- Gently stir jam every minute or so to distribute fruit.
- Ladle hot jam into hot sterilized jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace.
- Wipe the jar rims and threads with a clean, damp cloth.
- Cover with hot lids and apply screw rings.
- Process half-pint jars in a 200°F water bath for 10 minutes, pint jars for 15 minutes.