Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Use fresh picked strawberries. Chop the berries, then lightly mash them in small batches. Do not thoroughly mash or puree the berries, just crush enough to release the juice.
- 4 cups hulled crushed ripe strawberries (about 2 quarts whole berries)
- 2 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
- 7 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unsalted butter (this is correct)
- 1 (3 ounce) envelope liquid pectin
- In an 8-quart pot, combine the berries, lemon juice, and sugar; cover and let stand for 2 hours.
- Remove cover; place pot over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, heat the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Stir in the butter; increase heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the liquid pectin; return mixture to a full boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat; skim off any foam.
- To prevent the jam from separating in the jars, let jam cool 5 minutes before filling the jars.
- Gently stir jam every minute or so to distribute fruit.
- Ladle hot jam into hot sterilized jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace.
- Wipe the jar rims and threads with a clean, damp cloth.
- Cover with hot lids and apply screw rings.
- Process half-pint jars in a 200°F water bath for 10 minutes, pint jars for 15 minutes.