Recipe by mollypaul
Slightly spicy and very luscious, this cake comes from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup strong black coffee
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease/flour two 9" round cake pans.
- Whip egg whites to stiff peaks; set aside.
- Cream butter; add sugar gradually and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat egg yolks and add to batter.
- Add spices to coffee; add jam and stir into batter.
- Add soda to sour cream.
- Add to batter alternatively with the flour.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until cakes test done.
- Frost with your favorite frosting.