Recipe by Pets'R'us
Jam making is fun and rewarding, and who does not like strawberry jam??
Top Review by Stay in the Bay NZ
This is the only strawberry jam to make, have been making it for years, Delia Smith has this exact recipe in her book. Always get fantastic comments from people who have tried this.
Directions See How It's Made
- Hull the strawberries and wipe with some damp kitchen paper.
- Layer the strawberries in the pan and sprinkle them with the sugar as you go.
- Leave them like this overnight, reason for it is that the sugar will draw out the juices, firm the fruit and they will stay more whole in the jam.
- When you make the jam place the pan over low heat to melt the rest of the sugar, shake the pan now and then, don't stir too much.
- When the sugar is dissolved add the lemon juice and turn up the heat, when the jam bubbles start timing, begin with 8 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Spoon a little jam on a plate, let cool, then push with your finger, if you get a crinkly skin it is set.
- If not, boil it up again for another 3-5 minutes and do the test again, if necessary do more repeats.
- When ready remove from the heat, stir in the butter to dissolve the scum and let the jam settle for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pour the jam in dry clean jars which are heated in the oven for 5 minutes (325F) Cover with waxed discs and seal with lids or cellophane.
- Label the jars when they are cold.