Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I can't really take credit for this recipe. It comes from the instruction sheet that is inside the Sure-Jell box, but it is a tried and true recipe. I love making my own jams and jellies and my family loves eating them.
- 2 quarts strawberries, cut and crushed to yield 5 cups crushed berries
- 7 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) box pectin (SureJell brand preferred)
- Pour crushed berries into large boiler.
- Measure sugar into seperate container and set aside.
- Stir package of Sure-Jell into strawberries.
- Add butter.
- Bring berries and Sure-Jell to a full rolling boil (a boil that does not stop bubbling when stirred) then add sugar.
- Stir constantly.
- Stir in sugar, quickly.
- Return mixture to a full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Skim foam from top with metal spoon.
- Ladle quickly into jars that have been cleaned and preheated.
- Clean rims of jars with clean hot cloth.
- Place heated lids (lids that have been placed in simmering water for 1 minute) on jars and tighten rings.
- Place jars in water bath canner for 5 minutes, then remove from canner, turn jars upside down for 5 minutes.
- Return jars to upright position and let cool completely before storing.
This was the first jam I have ever made, and it was fantastic! As per some of the reviews, I lightened up on the sugar by about 1/4 of a cup (so it was 6 and 3/4 cups) and it came out just perfect! Sweet, delicious, jellied nicely, and it spread on bread or english muffins just perfectly! I made my first batch on the 18th, and we ate the first whole jar within a week! I used 3 1-lb containers of strawberries (crushed, they equaled just over 5 cups) and it made 9 half-pints - I thought this would be helpful to others who aren't sure how much strawberry to use. Make sure to mash them really well! I have already made a second batch. Now it's time to move on to my next jam for Christmas baskets this year :)
This was very easy to make and can, it has a wonderful taste and the color is nice. I recomend this recipe to anybody who is just learning to make jelly!
Absolutely fantastic!! So tasty and easy to make. I have to admit this is the first time I've ever made jam myself as I normally just buy it, but I'm converted! Homemade is so much better than store bought!!