Recipe by Cookiecate
A whole fruit preserve which tastes delicious. Strawberry jam is an all time favourite and there are many many recipes for it, however this one has three ingrediients and is an honest to goodness treat. If you are using frozen berries then you need to simmer the fruit a little longer to get rid of the thawed water. The butter is added at the end so that you will get very little to no scum forming on the top of your jam.
Directions See How It's Made
- Place strawberries into a preserving pan with lemon juice, and simmer gently, stirring from time to time for 20-30 minutes until the berries are really soft and the liquid has reduced.
- Remove pan from the heat and add the sugar, stirring until it has dissolved, add the knob of butter and bring to a rolling boil for 20mins.
- Test for set at about 220c degrees or 105f. An easy way to check that your jam will set is to put a little on a saucer that you have kept in the freezer put it back in the freezer for 2mins if it is ready then when you push it with your finger it will crinkle and form a jelly.
- If any scum has formed on the top of your jam remove it with a slotted spoon.
- Leave to stand for 15 minutes while you warm the jars. Pour the jam into the prepared jars and cover.