Recipe by Bev
Chill this pie at least 2 hours before serving. From Bon Appetit.
Top Review by Dana-MMH
This is a perfect 10 pie, not to sweet, easy to make, and even the presentation of the pie is perfect too. I made this for a BBQ during the 4th. and the guys got to it before us ladies came back from our walk and they didn't leave us 1 piece, I licked the pie plate:-) DH is requesting I make this again, when there is noone around to share with! Thanks Bev for a great recipe!!
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 5 cups quarered hulled strawberries (about 24 oz)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chilled whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For Crust: Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350.
- Butter 9" diameter glass pie dish.
- Coarsely chop almonds in processor.
- Add graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter; process until evenly moistened.
- Press crumb mixture onto bottom and up sides of prepared pie dish.
- Bake crust until set, about 12 minutes.
- Cool completely on rack.
- For Filling: Place 2 cups strawberries in medium saucepan.
- Mash strawberries with potato masher until chunky.
- Add sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to bowl.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Stir in remaining 3 cups of strawberries and grated orange peel.
- Mound filling in crust.
- Chill pie until cold and set, at least 2 hours and up to 6 hours.
- Makes 1-9" pie- serves 6.
- Using elelctric mixer, beat cream in large bowl until peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream decoratively over filling.
- Cut pie into wedges and serve.