In 'Southern Pies' by Nancie McDermott
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker pie crust
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 6 cups hulled coarsely chopped strawberries (about 1 1/2 lb., fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced (about 8 ounces)
- 1Bake pie crust as directed on package.
- 2In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and 1/3 cup cold water.
- 3Stir with a spoon to combine them well, dissolving any lumps.
- 4In a medium saucepan, combine the chopped strawberries, sugar, and salt.
- 5Stir to combine the fruit and sugar, and then cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a gentle boil.
- 6Cook, stirring often, until the berries create a pool of sauce, about 5 minutes.
- 7Stir up the cornstarch mixture, and add it to the pan.
- 8Cook, stirring often, until the strawberry sauce boils again, thickens up, and the berries are soft, 3-4 minutes more.
- 9Remove from the heat, stir in the butter and vanilla, and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- 10Beat the cream in a large bowl until it is very thick and luscious, holding its shape in round medium peaks that are not cottony-stiff.
- 11Stir in the strawberry mixture and gently fold the cream and strawberry mixture together to make an even, rich mixture.
- 12Pile the filling into the graham cracker crust and refrigerate for 3-4 hours, until very cold and fairly firm.
- 13Serve cold, and spoon a small pile of sliced strawberries alongside each piece of pie.
- 14Refrigerate any remaining pie for up to 1 day.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Icebox Pie
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.2
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 231.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 43.5 g
- Protein 3.0 g