Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
In 'Southern Pies' by Nancie McDermott
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker pie crust
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 6 cups hulled coarsely chopped strawberries (about 1 1/2 lb., fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced (about 8 ounces)
- Bake pie crust as directed on package.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and 1/3 cup cold water.
- Stir with a spoon to combine them well, dissolving any lumps.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the chopped strawberries, sugar, and salt.
- Stir to combine the fruit and sugar, and then cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a gentle boil.
- Cook, stirring often, until the berries create a pool of sauce, about 5 minutes.
- Stir up the cornstarch mixture, and add it to the pan.
- Cook, stirring often, until the strawberry sauce boils again, thickens up, and the berries are soft, 3-4 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the butter and vanilla, and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Beat the cream in a large bowl until it is very thick and luscious, holding its shape in round medium peaks that are not cottony-stiff.
- Stir in the strawberry mixture and gently fold the cream and strawberry mixture together to make an even, rich mixture.
- Pile the filling into the graham cracker crust and refrigerate for 3-4 hours, until very cold and fairly firm.
- Serve cold, and spoon a small pile of sliced strawberries alongside each piece of pie.
- Refrigerate any remaining pie for up to 1 day.