Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
The bright taste of fresh strawberries shines through this 0% fat ice milk. Its main sweetening agents are apple juice and sweet spices, with only 3 tablespoons of sugar added instead of the usual 16 or more.
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 tablespoons fruit juice-sweetened strawberry preserves
- 3 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 3 cups evaporated skim milk, chilled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine strawberries, apple juice, and spices in a small heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in conserves and sugar.
- Pour milk into a large bowl.
- Stir in strawberry mix and almond extract.
- Turn into ice-cream maker, following manufacturers instructions.
- Yield: 1 quart.
- NOTE: Because there is no fat in this ice-milk, it will become hard when frozen for longer than 12 hours.
- To soften, transfer from freezer to refrigerator 1 hour before serving.
- New Diet For Life Cookbook.