A little like a baked Alaska in a pie shell, this delight would have once been an early summer treat. With modern supermarkets, fresh berries are available year round. This recipe is also wonderful with peaches or raspberries. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pie shell, baked (either store bought or your own recipe)
- 16 marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons strawberries, crushed
- red food coloring
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream (tempered in the refrigerator to soften slightly...about 1/2 hour)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- whole berries, for garnish
- 1Heat marshmallows with crushed strawberries slowly, folding over and over until half melted.
- 2Remove from heat and continue folding until mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- 3Add a drop or two of food coloring (you're looking for a pleasing pink color).
- 4Beat egg whites until they hold a peak, add sugar slowly, beating constantly; add salt.
- 5Blend lightly with marshmallow mixture.
- 6Pile ice cream into pie shell, cover with sliced strawberries and top with fluffy marshmallow meringue swirled attractively.
- 7Brown quickly under broiler or hot oven just until the tips of the meringue turn golden, about 30 seconds.
- 8Remove pie from oven, tuck whole berries in swirls; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Ice Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.5
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 42.2 mg
- Sodium 363.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 40.8 g
- Protein 6.9 g