Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A nice summer treat! Cooking time includes freezing time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 9 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 cups strawberries, hulled (about 2 pints)
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- additional fresh strawberry, for garnish (optional)
- Combine milk and cream in heavy medium saucepan. Scrape seed from vanilla bean; add seeds to milk mixture. Bring to simmer. Remove from heat. Cover; let steep 1 hour.
- Bring milk mixture to simmer. Whisk yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan and stir over medium heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 10 minutes (do not boil). Strain into bowl. Cover and refrigerate custard until cold.
- Puree strawberries, corn syrup and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar in processor. Mix puree into custard.
- Process custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to container and freeze. (Ice cream can be prepared 2 days ahead).
- Scoop ice cream into bowls. Garnish with fresh whole berries and serve.