Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is best with peak season fresh strawberries. Requires an ice cream maker.
- 3 cups strawberries
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add strawberries and salt to the container of a food processor or blender; Puree mixture--there should be about 2 cups of puree; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow in color; set aside.
- Add the half-and-half to a medium-sized saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not bring to a boil).
- Slowly beat the hot half-and-half mixture into the eggs and sugar (I use a stand mixer and slowly pour in the hot half/half while the mixer is running on low speed).
- Pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and place on stove burner set on low heat.
- Stir mixture constantly, using a whisk or wooden spoon, until the custard thickens slightly (again, don't let mixture boil).
- Remove pan from heat and pour hot custard through a strainer into a large clean bowl.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Add in the strawberry puree, cream, and vanilla; stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard.
- Freeze in 1 or 2 batches in an ice cream maker/freezer following the manufacturer's directions.
- May eat ice cream as soon as it is done or transfer to a freezer container and freeze 2 hours for a firmer ice cream.
I was disappointed in the flavor of this ice cream. My strawberries were sweet but IMHO the ice cream still needed more than the 1/3rd cup sugar listed in the recipe. I checked other ice cream recipes and many called for at least 3/4 c. sugar. If I were to make this again, I would bump up the sugar amount considerably.
This is absolutely delicious ice cream!! It is my first time to make homemade ice cream in any flavor but vanilla and it's a big hit! I had some strawberries that needed to be used before we left for vacation and this fit the bill. I luckily doubled the recipe and used a whole quart of half and half and omitted the cream. I appreciate that this cooks the egg since I can't bring myself to serve anything with raw egg in it! Definitely worth the effort. DH even loves it and he usually could care less about homemade ice cream! I highly recommend and will definitely make it again! Made for Bargain Basement tag game.