Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is great when fresh strawberries are in season. We used to have a pastor who started requesting this as soon as the first strawberries of the season came in.
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85 ml lemon peel, grated
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 118.29 ml honey
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 354.88 ml strawberries, coarsely chopped (you can use frozen if fresh aren't available)
- 118.29 ml slivered almonds
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, honey and oil.
- Stir in strawberries and almonds.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring only well enough to moisten the flour mixture.
- DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Pour into a well greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from pan.
- This can be served warm or cold.
An excellent strawberry bread--moist, delicious (the strawberry-lemon-nutmeg combination is fantastic!), and much more healthful than the average quick bread!! And...a really great way to use up those extra strawberries! I made a few changes, mostly based on what I had: I used whole wheat pastry flour, sodium-free baking powder, a slightly rounded 1/2 tsp. of salt, and golden raisins (in place of the almonds--which we didn't have)--and all of that worked fine. I'll definitely make this again, and have put a copy of it in my printed cookbook! Thanks for a great recipe Sherrybeth!!