Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a lovely one for the Christmas celebrations.
Make and share this Strawberry Hazelnut Gateau recipe from Food.com.
- Beat the egg whites with salt until soft peaks form, gradually add sugar, beat until the sugar is dissolved and mixture is of meringue consistency.
- Beat in the vinegar and vanilla.
- Line bases of two 20cm springform pans with greased greaseproof paper which has been lightly dusted with cornflour.
- Spread meringue mixture evenly into tins.
- Sprinkle ground hazelnuts evenly over meringue in both tins.
- With a knife or small spatula, swirl hazelnuts lightly through meringue. Smooth over top of meringue with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in moderate oven 35 - 40 minutes or until meringue is crisp to touch; release sides of pan, cool on the base of the pan.
- Chop chocolate. Combine with water in top of double saucepan; stir over simmering water until melted; cool.
- Remove cakes from bases.
- Place a layer of meringue on a serving plate, flat side down; spread with a thin layer of chocolate. Spread whipped cream over chocolate. Reserve 4 strawberries, wash and hull the remainder, cut in half, arrange over cream.
- Spread the underside of second meringue with remaining chocolate mixture, place on top of strawberry layer, chocolate side down.
- Whip extra cream, cover sides and top of cake and if desired, pipe cream decoratively on top.
- Arrange reserved halved strawberries on top of cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve. If desired, brush strawberries used for decoration with warmed, sieved strawberry jam to give them a pretty glaze before arranging on cake. Cheers, Doreen Doreen Randal, Wanganui.
- New Zealand.
It's pure heaven. Made this many times myself, but lost the recipe a couple of years ago. Thank goodness for the internet!! For even better flavour leave for a day after making it...it almost tastes alcoholic. A decadent delight.
I was going to post this recipe from the Woman's Weekly, but found it here. I've made this beautiful cake/dessert many times, and although it looks complicated trust me it's not! I wouldn't make it if it was! It's rich but the strawberries cut through that, and it's a great holiday or celebration cake.