Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Light layers of golden cake [brushed] with gran marnier. Filled with white buttercream and strawberry preserves
- 2 2⁄3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup milk
GRAN MARNIER BRUSHING SYRUP
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup Grand Marnier
- 8 ounces of smucker's. strawberry preserves
WHITE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons water
- GOLDEN CAKE:.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Generously grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed or parchment paper. Grease paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Add flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour, mixing on low speed.
- Bake in prepared pans for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; invert onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
- GRAN MARNIER BRUSHING SYRUP.
- Stir together sugar and water. Bring to boil. Set aside. Cool. Add Grand Marnier.
- Using a pastry brush, soak cake thoroughly, at least twice with this syrup.
- WHITE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING.
- Cream butter and shortening with mixer.
- Add vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating on medium speed.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
- When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk or water and beat at medium speed until ready to use.
- FOR ASSEMBLY.
- Place one golden cake down.
- Spread a layer of Smucker's Strawberry Preserves on cake.
- Spread layer of buttercream icing on top of preserves.
- Add second cake layer on top.
- Frost with remaining buttercream frosting.
- Decorate as desired.