Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of our family's summer favorite. Thanks Paula!!
- 1 quart strawberry
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 -5 drops red food coloring
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- whipped cream (or Cool Whip)
- Crush 1 cup of red ripe strawberries, add water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add water, if necessary, to make 1 cup liquid.
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt and add to liquid.
- Stir until smooth.
- Bring to a boil and stir constantly until mixture thickens.
- Cool and add red food coloring.
- Place remaining whole strawberries in baked pie shell.
- Pour the glaze over the berries.
- Top the pie with whipped cream.
This worked out perfect as the glaze for our first strawberry shortcake of the season. Thank you for the salt as it kept the lumps out of the glaze. Outstanding! Thank you for posting.
I used the strawberry glaze over angel food cake. My family loved it. Much better than the commercial glaze in a pouch.
I had extra strawberries from a pary and I did not want them to ruin. I made this as a glaze for to refridegerate and use for toppings over ice cream, strawberry shortcake (The cake was your 7-Up Pound Cake), amd pancakes. Thanks it was easy and economical and tasty.