Recipe by Judy from Hawaii
This is my favorite strawberry pie; it has a fresh, light flavor. I much prefer it to those with jello or cream cheese. This is adapted from an old Farm Journal cookbook & is a family favorite. There are many recipes on Zaar that are close to this one, but no exact matches.
- 1 baked 9 " pie shell
- 1 1⁄2 quarts strawberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Hull, wash, & drain berries.
- Crush enough berries to make 1 cup.
- Combine sugar & cornstarch; add crushed berries & water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring almost constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue cooking & stirring over low heat for two minutes or until mixture thickens & becomes translucent.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter & set aside to cool.
- Place whole berries in pie shell, reserving a few choice ones for garnishing.
- Pour cooked mixture over berries & chill at least 2 hours.
- Whip cream & sugar together & frost pie with whipped cream.
- Garnish with reserved berries.
- Note: you can use whole berries placed into the shell with the points up, or you can half them & layer the berries in the crust.
- "cooking" time = chlling time.