Recipe by Irmgard
A wonderful way to use fresh strawberries! Please note that the cooking time is the length of time needed for the pie to set.
- 2 cups gingersnap crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1 (7 g) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄3 cup light rum
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup candied ginger, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry jam, strained
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the cookie crumbs with the melted butter; pat into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes; cool.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the rum in a saucepan.
- Soften for 5 minutes; heat gently to dissolve.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar in the top of a double boiler.
- Beat in the flour; slowly whisk in the hot milk.
- Cook over simmering water until the custard thickens.
- Beat in the gelatin and vanilla; cool over a larger bowl filled with ice and water.
- The mixture should be cool but not yet set.
- Slice 1/3 of the berries; place in the cooled pie shell.
- Halve the remaining berries and reserve for the top.
- Whip the cream until light and fold into the gelatin base along with the ginger.
- Spoon into the pie shell and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Arrange the reserved berries over the top of the pie.
- Brush the berries with jam and decorate with fresh mint, if desired.
- Chill 2 hours longer.