Recipe by Dee514
This recipe is very close to a true Italian gelato. Gelato is more dense than American ice cream because the churning and freezing process differs from the one used for ice cream. Most electric ice cream machines will produce a very good gelato. This recipe requires about 1 to 2 hours refrigeration time to chill the cooked base before processing in your machine. Cook time = the cooking time for the custard base. The freezing/processing time for your ice cream machine is not included in the Prep/Cook times below.
Top Review by MonkeysMom
I made this recipe yesterday to take to an Intalian themed birthday dinner party. It is delicious but has too much vanilla. The recipe calls for 2 TABLESPOONS of vanilla and I believeit should be 2 TEASPOONS. So I made a second batch without any vanilla and mixed it with the first. Still a bit too strong of vanilla but I'm out of eggs to make another batch. I also added a couple of drops of red food coloring because it was very pale in color.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup strawberry preserves
- 2⁄3 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat yolks and sugar until the mixture becomes fluffy.
- Add milk and vanilla, stirring continuously until the mixture is well blended.
- Pour mixture into the top of a double boiler and cook over low heat until the mixture is the consistency of light cream.
- Keep stirring to prevent lumps.
- Pour the cooked mixture through a fine strainer, and cool in the refrigerator until mixture is cold (1 to 2 hours).
- Place cold mixture in electric ice cream maker, add the strawberry preserves and fresh strawberries.
- Process according to the directions for your machine.