Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Use fresh summer berries in peak season.
- 6 large fresh strawberries
- 5 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (10 ounce) jar strawberry all-fruit spread (Polaner's all-fruit spread)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Put the strawberries in a blender or food processor; blend or process to a fine, light puree, about 30 seconds.
- If you prefer no seeds, run the whole strawberries through a food mill set over a small bowl, thereby catching the pulp and juice but removing the seeds; set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until thick and pale yellow, but not until the mixture makes satiny ribbons when dripped from the whisk or beaters, about 2 minutes; set aside.
- Heat the milk and cram in a saucepan set over medium heat until small bubbles form around the pan’s inner rim; do not boil but maintain this heat in the pan.
- Whisk about half of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture until smooth, then whisk this combined mixture back into the remaining hot milk mixture.
- Immediately decrease heat to very low; cook slowly, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to get foamy, starts to smell eggy, and can coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 7 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl; stir in the all-fruit spread, reserved strawberry puree, salt, and food coloring.
- Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Freeze the custard in your ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve at once, or transfer to a freezer container/s and store in the freezer for up to 1 month; soften at room temperature for up to 10 minutes before serving.