Prep 6 hrs
Cook 15 mins
From Victoria Gotti's book, Hot Italian Dish. You do not need an ice cream maker to make this!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup light cream
- 12 ounces strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- fruit (to garnish)
- Combine the milk and the cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil for about 4 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Puree the strawberries and stir into the milk mixture. Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks and the sugar together until creamy.
- Stir the cooled strawberry mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Cook in the top of a double boiler for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool slightly. Pour the custard into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze for 3 hours. Stir the gelato vigorously or process in a food processor, and return it to the freezer for another 3 hours. Alternately, an ice cream maker can be used for this step, follow the manufacturer's directions.
- Serve garnished with fruit.
Delicious strawberry ice cream. Creamy and full-flavoured. We enjoyed this very much.