Recipe by Buster's friend
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart's Strawberry Galette recipe. Knew I had to have it when I read the basil cream element - got that basil coming outta my ears in the garden!
FOR THE BASIL CREAM
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, loosely packed fresh (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup mascarpone cheese
FOR THE FRIED BASIL
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 18 -24 large fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, for sprinkling
FOR THE DOUGH
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more
- all-purpose flour, for surface
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold (cut into small pieces)
- 1⁄3 cup ice water (plus 2 tablespoons )
FOR THE GALETTE
- 1 lb strawberry, hulled
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cold (cut into small pieces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the basil cream:
- Combine cream, basil, and sugar in a double boiler and stir until sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or up to 2 hours for a more pronounced basil flavor).
- Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Add mascarpone, and whisk until medium peaks form.
- Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 24 hours.
- Make the fried basil: Heat oil in a deep skillet to 325 degrees.
- Fry basil, a few leaves at a time, for 12 seconds. (The leaves will cause the hot oil to spatter- use splatterguard)
- Drain leaves on paper towels, and let cool completely. Sprinkle both sides of the leaves with sugar. (Basil can be stored at room temperature overnight.).
- Make the dough: Sift flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor to combine. Cut in butter, and pulse until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Add ice water, and mix until just combined (dough will still be crumbly). Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out a 10-inch round, and transfer to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Make the galette: Cut strawberries lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Reserve end pieces for another use (want perfect even center slices for the concentric rings). Toss slices with 1/4 cup sugar and the cornstarch, and immediately arrange them in concentric circles on dough. Start 1 inch from edge, overlapping slices slightly. Fold edge of dough over berries.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Whisk egg yolk and water o male eggwash. Brush dough with the egg wash, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Dot berries with butter.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve warm with basil cream and fried basil.