Recipe by Theresa/ Thunderbird
A nice change of pace from the traditional chocolate variety.
Top Review by Lacey's mom
I made this and took it to several holiday functions. Everyone liked it and many people asked for the recipe. I think I'm going to have to make it every Christmas from now on. I put it in an 8x8 pan to let cool, but it was a little flaky to cut, so the bonbon cups (as suggested) is probably better. It is very sweet, but yummy.
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons strawberry gelatin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a buttered 3-quart heavy sauce pan.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook without stirring until candy thermometer reaches 230°F.
- or until it makes a soft ball when tested in cold water.
- Remove from heat.
- Add margarine or butter and vanilla,Do not stir!
- Cool without stirring until outside of pan becomes lukewarm.
- Stir in nuts and beat until candy loses its gloss.
- Pour into 3 dozen paper bonbon cups.