Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice change of pace from the traditional chocolate variety.
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons strawberry gelatin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a buttered 3-quart heavy sauce pan.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook without stirring until candy thermometer reaches 230°F.
- or until it makes a soft ball when tested in cold water.
- Remove from heat.
- Add margarine or butter and vanilla,Do not stir!
- Cool without stirring until outside of pan becomes lukewarm.
- Stir in nuts and beat until candy loses its gloss.
- Pour into 3 dozen paper bonbon cups.
I made this and took it to several holiday functions. Everyone liked it and many people asked for the recipe. I think I'm going to have to make it every Christmas from now on. I put it in an 8x8 pan to let cool, but it was a little flaky to cut, so the bonbon cups (as suggested) is probably better. It is very sweet, but yummy.
Sorry this fudge did not turn out well for me, It was kind of sugary for our taste.