Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I got this recipe from a food ideas magazine and have been wanting to try it for a long time. The family loved this jelly and it was so easy to make and it also looked very impressive. A great quick and easy dessert if you love strawberries and jelly but next time I think I will try half quick set jelly and half regular jelly as the quickset jelly set a little too firm and seemed tough (just my preference). See note below.
- 2 (85 g) packets strawberry jelly crystals, and
- quick set raspberry jelly crystal (see note)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 500 g strawberries, hulled, halved
- 1 cup cold water
- Place jelly crystals in a large heatproof bowl. Pour over boiling water. Whisk until crystals have dissolved. Stir in 1 cup cold water.
- Pour 1/2 cup jelly into a 7cm-deep, 10.5cm x 20cm (6-cup capacity) rectangular pyrex loaf dish. Place in freezer for 5 to 10 minutes or until set.
- Place a single layer of strawberries, cut side down, onto set jelly. Pour over another 1 cup jelly. Return to jelly freezer for 10 minutes or until set. Repeat layering twice more with remaining strawberries and jelly. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm.
- To serve dip base of dish into hot water for 30 seconds and invert onto a serving platter.
- Serve with cream or ice cream.
- Notes ~ Quick set jelly is made from a vegetable gum which is extracted from red seaweed, instead of the usual gelatine, and sets in under an hour. Quick set jelly has a firmer texture than regular jelly. Regular and quick set jelly are interchangeable.