Recipe by WendyinGermany
This is a typical German Strawberry Flan. When the strawberry season arrives these cakes can be found in every café and every home. You can use any combination of fruits on the cake. Peaches and kiwi; raspberries, apricots - etc. To glaze I use the packaged glaze which can usually be found in the produce (!) section of the supermarket.
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 150 g sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 150 g flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs strawberries (approx)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cherry flavored liqueur or 1 tablespoon cherry brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate yolks from egg whites. Beat the yolks, water, sugar and vanilla sugar until foamy. Add the flour and baking powder to this mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and carefully fold them into the above mixture.
- Pour into greased flan form and bake at 350° for ca. 25 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool.
- Cake tends to stick to pan, if this happens do the following: turn cake onto cooling rake, if it does not come out easily, run a tea towel under cold water, wring and place over bottom of flan form. The cake should then drop out easily.
- Mix together all ingredients and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Pour over cool cake. Top with sliced fruit and glaze.
- You do not need to use the syrup, if you do, use it carefully as you do not want to drown the cake in it. It is only meant to give it a bit of a kick.
- Serve with whipped cream and enjoy!