Recipe by Kate in Katoomba
Absolutely delicious. Don't be put off with the beer in the batter ingredients - it simply makes the crunchiest batter imaginable and leaves no taste.
- grapeseed oil or cottonseed oil, for frying
- 2 pints of large strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- golden syrup, for serving
- icing sugar, for serving
- ice cream, for serving
- 250 g self raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 200 ml cold water
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 drop lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the batter ingredients and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan to about 130C (not too hot- this is very important).
- Roll each strawberry in icing sugar until it's completely coated.
- Dip into the batter, then gently drop into the oil and cook for about 1 minute or until golden brown.
- Place on a paper towl to drain before serving.
- You can fry several at a time depending on the size of your pot.
- Serve the strawberry fritters immediately with vanilla ice cream drizzled with golden syrup and dusted with icing sugar.