Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Make this easy breakfast for your little ones! Adults would like it too;)
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced strawberry
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup pancake syrup
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry jam
- Spread 4 slices of bread with 1 TBS cream cheese each and divide strawberries among them. Top with remaining slices to make sandwiches.
- Lightly whisk eggs and milk in a shallow bowl.
- Heat half the butter in a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Dip sandwiches, one at a time, in egg mixture until totally wet. Cook sandwiches, in batches if needed, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Add remaining butter to skillet as needed.
- Meanwhile, combine syrup and jame in a small bowl. Microwave until jam is melted and syrup is heated. (About 15-30 seconds). Stir well.
- To serve, cut sandwiches into triangles and dip into strawberry syrup.
What a treat this was! An easy fix that's creamy rich & buttery, almost like eating dessert for breakfast! I made 2 servings as written & IMO it would be a little messy for really little ones to eat. I found it easier to eat w/a fork than to dip in the syrup mixture, but maybe cooking them more crispy than I did works best. Many options come to mind ~~ like using bananas w/the syrup if you lacked strawberries *or* dusting w/powd sugar if you lacked the jam *or* using whipped cream topping w/choc sprinkles. Thx for sharing this great recipe w/us. :-)
I chose this recipe as a "thank you for a lovely valentine's dinner" brunch. But I did make a few changes. Used fat free milk, fat free cream cheese, "bare bread" by h e b. Toasted the bread on lowest toaster setting to dry it out slightly. Also, I sprinkled a little cinnamon on the strawberries. The jam and syrup combo sounded as if it would over power the strawberries with sweetness so I didn't do that! Instead I lightly drizzled half a Tbs of chocolats syrup over each sandwich half. And topped each half with half a strawberry.
Yummy! Very Good, I added cinnamon to the egg mixture and sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top with butter! Delicious, thanks!