Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is for my DH who loves strawberries!
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1 (8 ounce) container strawberry cream cheese, softened
- sliced strawberry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
- maple syrup, for serving
- Beat eggs and milk in shallow dish. Spread 1 side of each slice of bread with cream cheese. Put strawberries on each of 3 slices of bread. Sandwich with remaining 3 slices of bread.
- Dip each sandwich in egg mixture, turning to coat each side. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Serve 1 1/2 sandwiches per person. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup,.
I made this for DH and I for our Valentine breakfast today, and we practically swallowed our forks shoveling it in! What a great new addition to my breakfast ideas. We will enjoy these again soon!
MMMMMMM....this is soooo good! Pulling into the driveway from the grocery store, I realized I'd forgotten to buy the strawberry cream cheese, so I made my own by beating some strawberry freezer jam into about 4 ounces of softened 1/3 less fat cream cheese. I didn't really measure the jam, but just kept adding more until it looked 'berry-licious'! With the extra strawberry flavor from the jam, I didn't think this needed more berries inside, plus my frozen strawberries just didn't look good enough to use for this after thawing, so I just used the cream cheese filling. I always add cinnamon and nutmeg to my eggs for french toast, and it worked well for this recipe as well. I had some raisin bread, which worked very well for this recipe. I meant to top this with some toasted sliced almonds left from another recipe, but I forgot! It was very good with maple syrup, and the kids loved it! Made for kid friendly tag. Thanks for posting!
I made this not for breakfast but for a late night dessert snack 6 guests ~ Each had a well-stuffed half a 'sandwich' along with a scoop of frozen vanilla yogurt, all topped with a great homemade strawberry sauce & a very small drizzle of homemade fudge sauce! OUTSTANDING & a definite keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]