Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Fresh berries and cream cheese create the creamy middle in these French toast sandwiches. Because you prepare this breakfast bake the night before, it's perfect for overnight guests.
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 10 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half cream or 2⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- maple syrup (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, strawberries and confectioners' sugar until combine.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons on one side of half the bread slices; top with remaining bread.
- Place sandwiches in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
- In a bowl, bet the eggs, cream and vanilla. Pour over the bread. Turn each sandwich.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- With a slotted spatula, transfer sandwiches to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Discard any remaining egg mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes; turn and bake 10 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce, combine the strawberries, sugar and water in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve French toast with strawberry sauce and maple syrup if desired.