Recipe by Young cook ellie
A scrumptious classic dessert, beautiful on a sunny day.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Had to make several substitutions on the ingredients list, but the resulting dessert was GREAT TASTING! I mixed up a 4-serving box of strawberry gelatin & cooled it down for the cool jelly mixture. When it came time to fold in the fromage frais, I used a well-mixed blend of 1/2 cottage cheese & 1/2 plain yogurt ~ Another time I'll try a low-fat cream cheese, just to see what that's like! Anyway, partner & guests all thought I'd made an OUTSTANDING dessert! Many thanks for posting! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC cooking event]
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the jelly into squares and place in a saucepan with 150ml water. Gently heat until the jelly cubes have dissolved then remove from the heat to cool.
- Remove the strawberry stems and hull (the green leafy bit and the part where it's attached to the berry). Roughly chop the strawberries and put in the bowl with half the sugar.
- Mash the mixture with a potato masher. Stir the jelly into the mashed strawberry mixture and put in the fridge. Leave until it's cold and just starting to set, about 2-3 hours.
- Stir the strawberry mixture well, then fold in the fromage frais and remaining sugar.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean serving dish and leave to set for about 2 hours.