Recipe by CaliforniaJan
This rich dessert is a variation of the traditional Spanish dessert called "Flan." Instead of vanilla, this flan is flavored with fresh strawberries.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Sooo delicious! Made this for tonight's dessert and I can't wait to eat it. Of course, I sampled it -- I couldn't resist. I did not have enough small ramekins so I made this in one dish and cooked it longer. I love the strawberry flavor and I'm so glad that strawberries are plentiful here year round. Will definitely be making this again. Made for PRMR, April, 2013.
- 1 pint fresh ripe strawberry
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) cancan condensed milk
- 6 eggs
caramelized sugar topping
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- mint leaf, optional garnish
- 6 strawberries, sliced, optional for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put a heavy skillet or saucepan over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- With the back of a wooden spoon, keep sugar moving constantly in skillet until sugar is completely melted, and of a rich medium brown color (caramelized).
- Pour caramelized sugar into each of six ramekins. Set aside.
- Wash and hull the strawberries. Place the strawberries, sugar, eggs and condensed milk in to a food processor or blender and blend until strawberries are minced and all ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Ladle the strawberry mixture into each ramekin. Cover each ramekin with aluminum foil.
- Place each ramekin into a large open, oven-proof pan, such as a broiler pan. Add very hot water to the pan. The ramekins should be submerged approximately 3/4 in the water. In Spanish, a “water bath” is called a “bano Maria.”.
- Carefully place the pan on to the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, carefully remove each ramekin from the water, uncover and to allow to cool.
- Once cool, place in refrigerator to chill. When you are ready to serve, run a paring knife around the outside of each ramekin to loosen the flan. Then, place the serving plate on top of each one and flip it over. It may be necessary to tap the ramekin to force the flan to fall out onto the plate. Garnish with fresh strawberries and mint and a few slices of strawberry.