Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Taken from 'Baking and Desserts' cook book - Tasty Tip; In the summer, when the choice of fruit is greater why not try topping the flan with a variety of mixed fruits. Arrange strawberries, rasberries, kiwi fruit and blueberries on top of the filling. If liked heat 3 tablespoons of seedless raspberry jam with 2 teaspooons of lemon juice. Stir until smooth, then use to brush over the fruit. Allow to set before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 Place the 175 g flour, butter and vegetable fat in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in 2 tsp caster sugar then with the machine running add 1 egg yolk and enough water to make a fairly stiff dough. Knead lightly, cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry and use to line a 23 cm loose bottomed flan tin. Place a piece of greaseproof paper in the pastry case and cover with baking beans or rice. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until just firm. Reserve until cool.
- Make the filling by whisking the whole egg and the 1 egg yolk and 50 g caster sugar until thick and plae. Gradually stir in the 25 g flour and then the milk. Pour into a small saucepan and simmer for 3-4 minutes stirring throughout.
- Add the vanilla essence to taste, then pour into a bowl and leave to cool. Cover with greaseproof paper to prevent a skin from forming.
- When the filling is cold, whisk until smooth then pour on to the cooked flan case. Slice the strawberries and arrange on the top of the filling. Decorate with mint leaves and serve.