Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Off Womens' Weekly. Made this a few times and it never fails to impress! Feel free to try this with any other fruit eg. mango, raspberry etc. I usually replace the arrowroot with cornstarch and it still comes through perfectly. The idea is to use any powdery white starch to thicken puddings or sauce. If you are running out of time, use instant custard. Have fun!
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot
- 1 dozen strawberry
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Grease a 4x10cm flan tin.Cut pastry sheets in half and line tins. Trim edges. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cover pastry with baking paper. Fill with rice. Cook in 190°C oven for 10 minutes Remove rice and paper. Cook for another 10 minute Cool.
- To make the filling, beat egg with 1/4 cup milk. Add yolks, plain flour, cornflour and sugar. Beat till thick. Boil remaining milk in pan. Slowly beat hot milk into egg mixture till smooth. Return mixture to pan. Whisk over fire until boiling and thick. Remove. Stir in vanilla essence. Leave to cool.
- Stir juice and arrowroot over fire until mixture boils and thickened.
- Pour filling into pastry cases. Add strawberries. Brush with orange glaze.