Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
I wanted to make strawberry crepes for my family, but couldn't find a recipe I liked. I experimented and came up with this: warm strawberries in sauce. Not too sweet, slightly tart. Enough for 4-5 crepes. I'd appreciate feedback and any possible improvements.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- In a pot, melt butter on medium heat.
- Put in frozen strawberries.
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water, add to pot.
- Add sugar and salt.
- Stir and turn heat down to low-medium.
- Allow to simmer until strawberries are soft.
- Smoosh strawberries.
- If you'd like a thicker consistency, allow to simmer on low heat, uncovered.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for one minute.
- Add cinnamon and vanilla.
- Wrap in crepes. Make beautiful with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar or whipped cream.
I thought this was perfect, LoydaP. I wouldn't change a thing. Your description is quite accurate; not too sweet, slightly tart. It thickened as it cooled. I used the sauce as a topping for plain yogurt. Wonderful.