Recipe by PrincessPage
The most flavorful strawberry filling. Fresh or frozen strawberries work fine.
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
This has great fresh strawberry flavor, and a gorgeous bright red color. I was going to try making a pie from this, but after I made this, I decided to mix in 1 1/2 cups whipped heavy cream to see how that would come out. Once I did that, I realized that it would probably make a great filling for an angel food cake (which is my plans for this once I get the cake). Now that I think about it, the whipped cream version of this would probably made great ice cream cake frosting, too. Ooh, or a great strawberry explosion trifle, with fresh sliced strawberries, both versions of the filling and strawberry cake cubes. Oh boy, I think I need to stock up on strawberries. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2012
- 4 cups strawberries, chopped fine
- 3 ounces strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 2 -3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons strawberry extract
Directions See How It's Made
- add everything into a sauce pan and cook until it boils, stirring constantly.
- Continue to cook and stir until everything is dissolved and starts to thicken approximately 5 mintures.
- Cool in refrigerator until thick and set.
- prep time does not include time in the refrigerator.
- I have never tried this, but I think you could fold in 1 1/2 cups of whipped heavy cream to make a frosting.
- I also wonder how this would work in a pie -- if anyone is brave enough let me know how that works. ;-p.