Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I haven't tried these yet but they sound so good!
Make and share this Strawberry Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 pint about 2 cups strawberry, hulled and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar and the water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture is crumbly.
- Add milk and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Place strawberries in a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish; pour hot sugar mixture over strawberries.
- Immediately drop dough evenly in 8 to 10 spoonfuls over strawberries.
- Sprinkle dumplings with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar (and a little cinnamon, if desired).
- Bake at 450° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until dumplings are lightly browned.
- Serve hot with whipped topping or ice cream, if desired.
Everyone loved this! Personally I would have liked more strawberries, but no one else complained. I liked the contrast between the very sweet syrup and the mildly sweet dumplings.
This was wonderful! I changed the sugar around a bit, thanks to comments in other reviews; I only used 1/3 cup of sugar overall, and took 3 tbs out of this to put in the dumplings. The rest went in the syrup, and then a little bit extra over the top before it went in the oven. Very, very yummy - thank you. :-)
Wonderful recipe! I've made this several times and wouldn't change a thing. This is a great alternative to all of those fresh strawberry desserts.